I’m very excited to welcome my first guest blogger stepping in to help me out while I’m jet-setting over to NYC! Jennifer aka Mother Thyme has been a blogging friend of mine for a couple of years now. She comes up with the most amazing looking recipes and has absolutely beautiful photos. They make me want to reach into the computer and grab them – especially the one she’s sharing with you today. It may just be the recipe to christen my new lemon tree with!
Hi Claire K Creation readers! I’m Jennifer, the voice behind the little blog Mother Thyme. I’m thrilled to be guest posting for my good friend Claire again as she comes and visits me. Well, she isn’t coming to visit me technically, but she is going to be close, and in the same state I live in. Hopefully one day we’ll meet in real life. Claire and I have been following each other’s blog for awhile. I just adore her, and love seeing all of her “creations”.
I first guest posted for Claire a few years ago with these Angel Food Cupcakes. As delicious as they are, I see a photo update in the future. I am back with another sweet treat that is so easy to make and is so yummy.
This Lemon pie cake with blueberry compote recipe originally came from my step-mom who actually got it from her mom. It is light and airy, the perfect after dinner dessert when you are not looking for something heavy. This pie is great on its own, but I love to top it with a simple blueberry compote. I love the combination of lemons and blueberries, which really works well together in this dessert.
The top of the pie can get rather brown. If you do try this recipe, don’t be alarmed if it does, it is completely normal. This creates a nice top crust, and a soft center. To hide the top, I dust it with powdered sugar.
If you are a lemon lover like I am, this is a must try. Whether you are having a dinner party with friends, or a hosting a weekend brunch this is a dessert everyone will rave about!
Thanks so much Claire for having me today!
- 1 9-inch (20cm) unbaked pie shell (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1½ cups milk
- Zest and juice of one large lemon
- 3 tbsp flour
- Confectioners (icing) sugar for dusting
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tspn cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (160C).
- In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter.
- Stir in egg yolks one at a time followed by milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour until combined. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, in a medium bowl beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake in for 40-45 minutes until top is just set.
- Note, the top of pie will become very brown. If top becomes too dark, cover with aluminum foil. Also, cover the edge of pie crust with foil or pie crust shield to avoid burning.
- Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners sugar when still warm.
- In a small saucepan add blueberries, water, sugar and cornstarch and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until blueberries release their juices and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and serve over pie.
- Store pie and compote in refrigerator.