The rain was still bucketing down outside. We’d spent so much time on the couch that there were Claire and Will shaped indents in each of our spots (yes we have spots, don’t judge) and 13 episodes into Prison Break season one, I was starting to plan my escape from the house.
The weather had other plans. It wasn’t just raining it was pouring and when the weather is that bad, pretty much the only places you can go are those that have parking under the building which really means shopping centres. Oh how I dislike weekend trips to shopping centres.
Instead, I had to plan another way to escape. I chose to bake my way out of cabin fever. Luckily my pantry is usually quite well stocked for any sort of baking emergencies but there was just one thing I was craving – chocolate chip cookies.
I didn’t solely watch Prison Break all weekend, I did manage to go through all my food magazines (ok so I did this while watching Prison Break), save the recipes I liked and bag the mags up to pass on to family and friends. It was then that I remembered an easy looking recipe for biscuits made with condensed milk.
My challenge accepted I set out to make condensed milk chocolate chip biscuits. Of course I’m not too good at leaving a recipe alone so I added some chopped up roasted macadamias for a bit of added crunch.
Biting into them warm from the oven was just what I needed to rescue me from the damp, miserable weather. They were crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside and nice and thick and became the first residents of my new cookie jar.
If you prefer crunchy biscuits (like my husband), I suggest you cook them a little longer and wait until they are golden all over before taking them out of the oven. I baked half the batter and froze the other half for a rainy day (so they’ll be cooked up soon).
I put my dough in cryovac bags and flatten it out for easy defrosting. If you write the instructions on the bag then you don’t have to worry about searching for the recipe when you want to bake them. Enjoy!
What about you? How do you beat cabin fever on rainy days?
- 250g butter, chopped
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 200g sweetened condensed milk (1/2 a can)
- 2½ cups self-raising flour
- 250g dark chocolate chips (or chopped dark chocolate)
- 110g roasted, chopped macadamia nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan-forced and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, sugar and condensed milk together in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and smooth.
- Add the flour, chocolate chips and nuts and mix them through until there are no dry bits.
- Roll tablespoon-sized balls of dough and place then on the trays leaving 5cm between each one.
- Gently press the dough down to flatten it.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Leave the biscuits on the trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you liked this post, why not subscribe and receive updates straight to your inbox?